Friday, September 08, 2006

Already been a month!

Hey everyone! I wanted to let everyone know that I am doing good! I have been really busy with stuff at the health center...I have so far gotten to see 2 deliveries! It was so awesome! I can't believe how easy these women make it look, makes me wonder what us americans are doing that it takes hours of pushing instead of the 5 minutes I saw here! Other things that I have been doing: had a community meeting on Monday to discuss Malaria, family planning, and voluntary counseling and testing for HIV. It was really good. There were about 120 people in attendance! I have been going to outreach clinics that are anywhere from 2-12 km from the health center that I bike to on every Wednesday. There are always lots of women and children. These are the under 5 and family planning clinics. I have also done some village inspections where we see what sanitation and hygeine things are or aren't missing like a pit latrine, kitchen, drying rack, refuse pit, bathing room, etc. The weather has been unseasonably windy, cloudy, and cold. Its very weird as we are supposed to be headed into the hot season this month! I will be in Lilongwe at the end of the month to see the new education volunteers and to try to download some pictures. I will keep you posted! Let me know how things are going! Oh, everyone wants to know if I like nsima (I do!) and if I know how to cook it! My neighbor, a midwife, is on leave for one month at another health center. I have been eating most dinners at her place with her kids! I seem to have gotten my own Malawian family!

1 comment:

Jessica Bradford said...

Hello! My name is Jessica Bradford and I will be leaving for Malawi to work as a communty health advisor at the end of May this year. I am a Masters International Volunteer and have been working on my Masters in development for the last two years. My primary interest is family planning/maternal health and HIV/AIDS. I don't know where in Malawi I'll be yet (ofcourse), but I am very excited to learn everything about the country. I stumbled upon your blog and it is very interesting to me. If you have any advice or insight (espsecially concerning what to pack and how much money, if any, I should bring with me) please send me an email at jessica.l.bradford@wmich.edu or add a comment to my blog at http://bradfordmalawi.blogspot.com. I know you are probably pretty busy, so I understand if you can't reply. I appreciate your time. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Jessica Bradford