Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Summer school and snorkeling...does that go together?

Hey everyone!
So, I just got back from teaching a few days at the Peace Corps summer school program...It went pretty good! I taught some genetics and immunology. The students were very motivated and asked some good questions that weren't just about surface information, they actually were comprehensive! Although there were the occasional funny questions like, "If I go to the traditional healer, can I get medicine to make me have a boy baby?" I feel like this gave me a good idea of what to expect if I want to teach at the secondary school near my health centre. I think I did a good job, for the most part...I am considering teaching maybe a few days per week in biology or life skills. Who knows? I have decided that the northern region so far is the most beautiful part of Malawi...It has many mountains and trees and is very GREEN! It reminds me of Oregon. There was a very funny sign that said, "Vasectomy: For men who love their spouses." I thought that was funny because here in Malawi, men have no idea what vasectomies are, and if they do, they still think that outpatient female sterilization is much easier...of course, it's not happening to them! Other things about the north...I went to the Tanzanian fabric market in Mzuzu...amazing! I bought some beautiful fabric and had a skirt made out of some of it. It turned out really pretty. I love it...just another reason for you women to come and visit me, get fantastic fabric and outfits made! I went to Nkhata Bay with my friends Annie and Heidi. It was really beautiful too! We stayed at a cute sort of backpacker's lodge called Mayoka Village. They had cute cottages that overlooked onto the lake and were super cheap. I was able to use their snorkeling equipment for free and saw some pretty bright blue fish! The food there was really good and I can't wait to go back for Christmas! I am headed back to Zomba to work for a few weeks before Christmas and then will head back up north. It is cloudy and humid because there was lots of rain earlier today. Well, that's about it for now...let me know how things are going! I love and miss you all! I tried posting pictures but the internet is running too slow and won't download them...I'll try again when I'm in Lilongwe in a few weeks!

No comments: