Monday, May 08, 2006

It's getting closer!!

Hey everyone,
Sorry I haven't written on here in quite a while. Things have been pretty busy around here preparing to leave in a few weeks. So, things I have been up to lately involving PC:
1. went to a potluck held by a return peace corps volunteer that had about 10 other RPCVs. This was very cool. I met a lot of very interesting people who were very excited for me and wanted to help me out as much as possible with any questions I had. All of them wished that they were in my position so they could go back since they all said this was the best experience of their life! I met a former country director. He gave me alot of useful information about the country and what I could do after I served in Peace Corps as a job. I guess they give you a cookbook when you get there so that you don't starve not knowing how to prepare foods on a three stone cooking apparatus. At this potluck, I also met a woman, about 40 years old, who is do the exact same thing as me and leaving the exact same time as me! So, at least I will know someone when I go for training. She is just like me, very excited and ready to go!
2. I received my itinerary for my staging event. This is where Peace Corps tells you all of their general ideas on safety, what to expect, and some light training in general. I will also be starting my many vaccinations. I will have my staging event in Philadelphia from May 28th to May 30th. I actually get to go a day earlier since I have to be ready to do everything at 2pm on the 28th and it takes to long to fly from Portland to Philadelphia to make it in time. So, I will get to do some sight-seeing since my hotel is literally blocks from things like the liberty bell, hard rock cafe, and some interesting quaker stuff. In case you are interested, here is my flight itinerary for going to Malawi:
leave JFK in NY at 5:55pm on the 30th
arrive in Johannesburg at 5:05pm on the 31st
leave Johannesburg at 10:20am on June 1st
arrive in Lilongwe at 12:45pm on the 1st
3. attended Peace Corps send off party for invitees last night with family. We went to the Lucky Labrador in SW Portland last night to eat pizza and meet some RPCVs. I met a woman who was in Malawi in the early 90s. She was very excited about her experience and just kept saying how wonderful the people are there. I think this helped calm my mom down some since she was able to ask her some questions.
So, that's it for now... if you have any questions, just let me know! I have 19 days until I am outta here for 2 years!! If you want, you can come to my going away party on the 13th at my parents' house...let me know if you want to come!

No comments: