Thursday, August 17, 2006

In Blantyre for "resupply"

hey everyone,
I am in Blantyre until Saturday meeting up with other new PCVs that have been at site for the last 3 weeks. So, my new site in Zomba is really good compared to the last one even though I don't have running water or electricity...let's just say for the first few days I was eating papaya and peanut butter and honey sandwiches...I'm getting better at getting my charcoal burner to work, but it still takes a lot of prepping to get it ready. I am still eating the staple meal of peanut butter and honey sandwiches so that I don't have to cook in the heat! It has started to warm up a bit and will continue to do so until it peaks in October...can't wait...So, my house has 3 bedrooms and a sitting room with a separate structure for the baffa and kitchen, then my chimbudzi (pit latrine) is behind that in its separate building. I am in the process of having a grass "security" fence built. I have a night watchman for security purposes. I have gotten to learn how to do antenatal exams of palpatations and listening to the heart beat. It was so cool! I can't wait to actually be doing this for my job, I would love to be a midwife! I rode my bike to a outreach clinic yesterday...it was 25km round trip...my butt really hurts from my bike seat...I got to help weigh under 5 children and record it. I know, not too exciting, but it was good to do for me! Not too much else going on, my site is 15 km off the tarmec (paved road) and it takes 1 1/2 hrs by bike taxi to reach my house! I am definately living in the bush! I will try to post pictures when I get a card reader. Let me know how you are doing!

No comments: