Sunday, July 30, 2006

Leaving for site tomorrow!



Hey everyone,
I wanted to let you know that I am leaving for my site tomorrow morning! I will not have regular email access, so its back to letter writing or buying the 4 cents/minute phone card (at www.speedypin.com) and calling me! I will start my community assessment which I will be doing for the next three months at site. I will not being doing any really medical stuff yet, just finding out what my community needs. I will hopefully see many babies being born at my health centre, I will let you know how that goes! I am excited, nervous, and everything in between. I can't wait until I have my house as my house and everything is in place like painting, my garden, my fence, furniture, etc. I am planning on painting all of the inside of my house and planting a decent sized garden. I will take some before and after pics for you to see the difference!
So, I spent all of Friday and Saturday at the markets arguing with people selling me stuff that was overpriced. I have gotten pretty good at bargaining down with my Chichewa. I got a broom and mop for only K300 with a starting price of K800. Maybe when whoever comes to visit me, I will help you get stuff for the Malawian price instead of the azungu price.
I am guessing that everyone is trying to figure out what Chichewa is like, so here are some common phrases: Muli bwanji? (How are you?) Ndilil bwino, kaya inu? (I am fine and you?) Kodi, muli wokwotiwa? (question, are you married?) Ndimagwira nchito ya ulangzi wa za umoyo. (I work as a health advisor.)
You can reach me by mail, maybe email, and my cell phone from now on! I hope everything is going good in the US! I will write when I get a chance! I miss you all lots!!

No comments: